Monday, October 5, 2009

Sarah Orne Jewett

I've been reading this novella titled The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett, and I've come across one particular quote that is stuck in my mind and I can't fully grasp the interpretation of it. Here's the paragraph for context, I'll bolden the line that I'm stuck on:
"At last I had to say good-bye to all my Dunnet Landing friends, and my homelike place in the little house, and return to the world in which I feared to find myself a foreigner. There may be restrictions to such a summer's happiness, but the ease that belongs to simplicity is charming enough to make up for whatever a simple life may lack, and the gifts of peace are not for those who live in the thick of battle."
I can understand the meaning when referring to difference between the bustling unfriendly battle-field of city life, but I feel like there's a deeper meaning to it that i can barely reach with my fingertips, and I just can't quite grasp it. 

I'll take a look again in the morning to see if a good night's sleep does my thinking any good....

No comments:

Post a Comment